Raw Milk Hard Cheese making in NZ

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Introduce yourself! Raw Milk Hard Cheese making in NZ

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JamesTheBaker
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I have started making Raw milk Hard cheese at home and aging it in a non working drinks fridge.

I have 3 Tommes on the go, one has got a nasty case of the blues, one has a little Brevi/washed rind going on and the other fingers crossed will bloom into a nice white rind.

It would be great to chat to anyone else out there who is making raw milk cheese too! 🙂

Greetings from NZ

James

#3746 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

James, I am new to the website, and even new to blogs and forum’s but find this a great recourse now that I discovered it. I made only raw milk cheeses for the first couple years and find it fascinating. I would pirate milk (Michigan is a no raw milk state) from several area farms and learned how every farm produced a different milk and resulted in different cheese. By different milk I mean that a different breed of cow, a mix of breed, what they feed, how they treated the stock, when they milked, how sanitary they were. It ALL made a huge difference. I had a retired dairy Farmer that loved just having a few cows and I got 40 gallon of high butter fat Gernsey milk each week for a couple years. It was fun but there were eventually issues and that came to an end. I have made cheese from pure holstine milk and found it to be good tasting but grainy in texture. I have a supply of goat milk in the summer and love to work with it straight or mixing it with store milk. I just have a great time with experimenting.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Raw Milk Hard Cheese making in NZ
Your information: