24% fetta (bulgarian) cheese

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Making Cheese 24% fetta (bulgarian) cheese

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello
    Sorry for my bad english.
    I’m trying to make 24% fetta cheese and the problems i am dilling with are so big.
    The cheese become milk ana some of a gelly in 12 liter jar.
    Im trying to figure why its happanning and do not get any answers.
    Thanks.

#3877 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

Sounds like the fetta is softening in the brine right? Without knowing your recepie it’s tough to know exactly what is going on but here is my experience with it. First the cheese is made and hung to dry and age for a day or 2. Then cut into squares and salted. Then it must sit out and heal for 2 or 3 days. Stir the pieces once a day so they dry and he’ll properly or they will soften in the brine for sure. Second think you can do is either save whey from the cheese mke in the fridge or use a little vinegar in your brine to equalise the pH of the cheese and the brine. Also can try adding calcium chloride to the brine to help with the softening problem. Personally I let my fetta heal for 3 days and use just salt and water for my brine and the cheese doesn’t soften

#3881 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

This is the recepie I use all the time http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/feta.html Haven’t had trouble with it as long as I leave it sit and heal/ acidify long enough. See the troubleshooting at the end of the recepie for more tips on preventing softening in the brine. The lipase recommended is really helpful to the flavour. I use mm100 culture in mine plus the Lipase.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: 24% fetta (bulgarian) cheese
Your information: