Brie still draining whey

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Soft Cheeses Brie still draining whey

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Roxanne
    Participant

My first attempt to make brie…I realize I didn’t cut the curds enough now but is it going to turn out, can I do anything to help. I rubbed with salt and sprayed the mold culture and put in frig cave…I went to flip it 24 hours later and it had drained abut a quarter cup of whey. ..I changed the cheese mat and tilted the cheese to keep draining. Will this mess the mold from growing? Should I spray it again?

#4119 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

Leave it a few days and if the mold isn’t starting up spray again. Is it in a ripening box? If so leave the lid open a little to let some of the moisture escape.

#4122 Reply
    Roxanne
    Participant

It is in a small frig at 55 degrees..it started growing mold today. I have it on a mat, so when I went to flip it, the mold made it stick to the mat, but I peeled the mat off carefully. The bowl that caught the liquid was solid, greasy and tasted very salty…hoping I didn’t lose some good stuff!

#4220 Reply
    PanamaMike
    Participant

Roxanne,
    If the mold is sticking to the mat try flipping twice a day. When you get full coverage pat down mold and wrap in two ply soft cheese paper or leave in container with a mat on the bottom in 40F fridge.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Brie still draining whey
Your information: