Colby Knitting Together

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike.Cross
    Participant

I just made a batch of Colby yesterday, but the curds failed to knit together. I had cooled them to 80 degrees and let them sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before salting and pressing, following recipe exactly. Is it possible they just got too cool? Has anyone else had problems with Colby not have the curds knit? Any information would help.

#2008 Reply
    user6244
    Participant

I made a pepper jack that didnt seem to want to knit back together,,I increased the pressure, and time and that seemed to fix it. I suspect the same would apply to the Colby. Also on my batches after that I tried using a warmed up wet towel wrapped around the press that also seems to have worked out well or at least the appearance of not wanting to knit has all but gone in the last 3 hard cheeses since applying the warm towel to the press (wrapped around the hoop).

#2011 Reply
    Mike.Cross
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I pressed it as hard as I could, so that wasn’t the problem. I think you’re right on about the heat. I think the curds were too shocked and cooled down to much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Colby Knitting Together
Your information: