culture suppliers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    handyjim
    Participant

I have been buying my cultures and supplies from New England Cheese. Are there other suppliers that might be recommended?

#1904 Reply
    Curd Nerd
    Keymaster

Hi HandyJim

Assume you are in America?

#1912 Reply
    Curd Nerd
    Keymaster

Hi Jim

I popped over to our Facebook page and asked there were other Curd Nerds are buying their supplies from in the US. Below are the replies.

#2049 Reply
    johncheese
    Participant

Hi
    I too would like to know a choice or suppliers in Aus. Cheese links is my current but sometimes the postage stops me purchasing if for just one or two items. I have to wait until my order needs are greater

They are good though and cover all cultures

#2050 Reply
    johncheese
    Participant

Hi. It’s me again

I have managed to answer my own dilemma on culture and mould procurement.

I have only just found a cheese making supplier in Australia which seem to beat all other in price by a very high percentage along with a low fixed shipping rate.

This being

http://www.omnomcheese.com/shop-1/

Worth a browse

#2057 Reply
    Curd Nerd
    Keymaster

Hi John

Thanks for posting this. It will be very helpful to other cheese makers in Australia.

I may start a sticky (post that stays at the top) with links to suppliers so they are easy to find for others.

#2073 Reply
    admin
    Participant

Is there any way I can make cultures by myself? Please answer!

#3889 Reply
    Elzani du Toit
    Participant

Hi,

I am a complete newbie at cheese making, I am based in South Africa, and have bought some ingredients from a supplier here, however once you have purchased products / ingredients they do not answer or reply to any question / email. In the recipes they provide with the kit it just tells you to add culture (does not tell you which type of culture to use), does tell you how to make a live culture (by adding a bit of culture to 1L of Long Life milk and let it rest overnight or until milk thickens)

I was hoping someone would be able to assist me…

What happens when you use for example a thermos culture instead of a meso or vice versa, or even use a meso / thermos mix instead of either a thermos or meso culture?

Thank you in advance 🙂

#3893 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

Thermophilic (Thermo) culture is active at temps above 100F Mesaphilic (meso) culture is active at temps below 100F. If you interchange them the recepie will not usually turn out because your cooking and ripening stages will be at the wrong temps. That said you can try and adjust temps and make some cheese but it won’t turn out the same as the cheese in the recepie. If you are ok with experimenting this is ok but you may turn out some off tasting or textured cheese in the process. A mixed culture is usually going to yield ok (maybe not perfect) results if you follow temperature recommendations in your recepie as the meso or thermo culture will dominate depending on temperature.

#3895 Reply
    Elzani du Toit
    Participant

Ray,

thank you 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: culture suppliers
Your information: