Feta problems

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Timbo
    Participant

New to cheese making, great chevre, tried feta and made ricotta from the whey. Feta is very salty and has lots of what appear to be small gas holes, taste is good although salty. Have not seen these voids in commercial cheese

#2138 Reply
    speakeasycheese
    Participant

I have had this happen also and it was related to coliform bacteria. When it started happening to me I thought it was our milk and possibly mastitis but after having all of our does tested I just cleaned the heck out of everything sanitized it all and….no more problem. I use StarSan as a sanitizer, but there are others.

#2140 Reply
    Timbo
    Participant

Thank you so much ! I thought it might be my sanitation. Next weekend I will try again.
    Best wishes
    Tim

#2141 Reply
    speakeasycheese
    Participant

You are welcome! Be sure you sanitize everything that comes in contact with the milk as well as the ripening box, (that is where mine was contaminated), and because I stir in the culture, rennet and then stir agin I always sanitize the stirrer in between. I also sanitize the temp sensor if for some reason it comes out of the milk. Because I live where there are breezes I drain curd in an enclosed container and that also is sanitized. If complete sanitizing does not eliminate the issue send your milk to be tested. If you don’t have one, I know a lab that is quite reasonably priced and super easy to work with.

Attachments:
    #2732 Reply
    wehave3kids
    Participant

I have been making feta with my raw goats milk for 2 years now without any problems but lately my feta is getting loads of holes in it ,sometimes it puffs up too and other times it can smell very strong like a chemical. I can make Holloumi fine but not the feta . What has changed . I have sterilised everything over and over again but the same result every time . I have had my milk tested and it is perfect . It’s so upsetting as I keep having to throw it away . I am wondering if it’s something I’m feeding my goats ??? I do feed them fermented grains .

#2847 Reply
    speakeasycheese
    Participant

Do you chill down your milk? We use an ice water bath as soon as the milk is weighed. Try to get it down to 40 degrees F within 2 hours if you can then into a fridge at 40 F or below. This retards bacteria growth…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Feta problems
Your information: