Gouda Recipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    setepano
    Participant

Does anybody know of a Gouda recipe which uses 5L of Milk.
    Everything I read relates to the use of 10L. Having just mastered the art of Camembert and knowing
    the little problems that transpired in our journey, 5L sounds like a great place to begin
    the experience. Any advice welcome.

#2256 Reply
    Dolle
    Participant

If having a recipe with amount of ten liter milk, then just use half of the cultures etc. mentioned in the recipe, if you only want to use 5 liter of milk.

#3888 Reply
    Elzani du Toit
    Participant

Good morning,

Being a complete newbie and trying a few different cheeses, this might be a silly question to most!!

I was also thinking of trying a gouda and using 5L, would that then affect the weight for pressing and the time the cheese is being pressed?

Thank you

#3891 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

Yes to both. A 10L cheese would probably weight about 2.5lbs so use that and the recommended weight to get a press weight per lb then apply it to your cheese weight. The time factor will be less important but a smaller cheese will acidify a little faster so you could reduce time by 10% maybe?

#3892 Reply
    Elzani du Toit
    Participant

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your response, I am actually about 40min away from pressing time….just in time 😀

However…..made me realize I did not ask, when cutting a recipe in half does this affect the resting/ ripening / stirring times as well?

#3921 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

It does somewhat but not enough to matter. Your cheese should still turn out fine. Hope it goes well for you!

#8132 Reply
    Stacy

Is it better to use a wax or just natural rhine for Gouda while aging?

#8140 Reply
    Luis

Hi I use the recipe from a book 2 weeks ago and the results look good , try to repeat the same recipe but results are very different, second one end up with bubbles inside instead a smooth consistency, I repeat the same procedure, temperature, amount of milk (4 gal batch) same
    Mezo culture, same renet, times were slight different the first was 1hr 45 min with the culture at 88 degr the second was 2 hrs renet cut time was 45 min , then 40 min rising the temp to 100 F , results very different ,,Any toughs?
    /thanks

#8141 Reply
    Luis

I forgot to mention I use a spring loaded press for 16 hr time on both cheeses result 2,15 Kg of cheese.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Gouda Recipe
Your information: