Hello from Brisbane

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    matthias
    Participant

I’m Matthias from Germany, now living in Brisbane.
    I miss the alpine cheeses and I started about 6 months ago to learn how to make simple cheeses with the aim of eventually making alpine style cheeses.
    I make a cheese every week, sometimes soft cheeses like Feta, sometimes semi hard cheeses like Gouda and Colbys.
    Recently I had some culture shipped to make the alpine style but they are all still ripening.
    I make my cheeses at home in the kitchen and for hard cheeses I use 10 liters of milk as that fits my press and the other equipment.
    I’m keen to learn more and look forward to reading what everybody else is up to.

#5104 Reply
    Neil

hi Matthias

I live not far from you on the Gold Coast, and was interested to see how your alpine style cheeses turned out!

Cheers
    Neil

#5106 Reply
    Matthias

Hi Neil,

I’ve made 25 alpine wheels since and they vary a little more than a shop bought product would.

After trialing a bit, I am now pressing them overnight at 24kg and air dry them first before vacuum packing them to age them 6-24 months. They are full flavor, a little spicy but my favorite cheese.

Hope this helps?

Thanks,
    Matthias

#5112 Reply
    Neil

They sound great! I’ve only just started making cheese, but I think vacuum packing is the way to go. I got some cross contamination on my initial manchego from a camembert, which didn’t end well, but I’ve got my fingers crossed for the next batch. Are you using a recipe for your alpine cheeses?
    Cheers
    Neil

#5115 Reply
    Matthias

I am using a German recipe but it is pretty similar to the Piora that Gavin Weber published if you know him?

#5116 Reply
    Neil

Just had a look at the recipe, sounds great! I think I’ll give it a go.

When you vacuum pack your cheese, do you vacuum pack the whole cheese or divide it into quarters?

Cheers
    Neil

#5121 Reply
    Matthias

I vacuum the whole thing and leave it 6-18 months. Then I cut it up and vac pack again if needed.

Cheers,
    Matthias

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Hello from Brisbane
Your information: