Hello from Johnny

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    johnny larue
    Participant

Hello everyone and a big thank you to our hostess!

Made my first micro farmhouse cheddar last night as per the recipe here and working on another.
    I’m a yank in Japan and am adjusting sizes down to what is workable and affordable for here.

Looking forward to bombarding you all with silly noob questions in the future haha.

Johny

#1940 Reply
    user6244
    Participant

Welcome, it is kinda quite here but for a few of us,, So your in Japan? I am in Korea,, when you say affordable are you talking about the cost of milk?

I got most of my equipment from the internet, amazon etc…

Cultures and rennet same

In Korea I have found 2 choices of milk and one korean website that has some marginal supplies (rennet ) and it is over priced..

I did search out and found that Korea has a place called Cheese village and plan to visit just to check it out but it doesnt seem to be much more than a demo on making mozz…

#1942 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

Hi and thanks for the welcome 6244,

Yes, overall costs are high, special milk is about 3 usd per liter, importing cultures, even cheesecloth. But it is very enjoyable to do though I haven’t eaten anything yet. There is somewhat of a cheese culture here, good supermarkets have tiny, very expensive cheeses. I hope to get around that. How about in Korea, what kind of dairy products are available and is cheese in the culture at all?

#1943 Reply
    user6244
    Participant

In Korea milk that can be used to make milk (63c for 30 minutes) comes from 2 companies the rest use much higher temps.
    That Milk cost about 9,000 won per liter or just around 8 and change USD per liter..

Koreans do love cheese but they seem to have a limited market, I have gone to some of the larger markets such as Emart to discover they do have like cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, and a few others but not a great variety and certainly nothing like artisan cheese varieties…

I to am a fledgling cheese maker and currently have only 3 cheeses in my cheese cave at the moment, and have not tested them yet as I have at least 4 more weeks for one of them to be in the window of using the trier to test it’s progress… I have a farm house cheddar, a pepper jack, and a peppered traditional cheddar so far,,, I would like to make some blues but I have not decided how to keep it and prevent it from spreading contaminating the other cheeses in the mini fridge/cheese cave..

In Korea they do have that one place called cheese village that I have not visited yet , it appears they use goats milk there I hope to learn more about it in a few months from now…

Cheese Village

I have located a farm near my location that also sells goats milk but I do not have enough detail in regards to how it is taken care etc, I hope to visit them and find out soon before I decide to try it..

I will be visiting a nephew in a few days who is graduating boot camp , so plan to make a batch of mozzarella, or instead make string cheese to hand (along with crackers) out to him and his new found friends…..

#1953 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

Wow 9000 won per liter, is that what you used or did you use regular milk? I won’t complain about 300 yen / 3$ per quart anymore. I’m really want to make a bleu cheese next as well, love the stuff. I’m going to try using a bit of storebought bleu as the inoculum. I hope you don’t mind if I ask you some questions about Korea in the future? Thanks, John.

#1954 Reply
    user6244
    Participant

LOL I must a been on something this morning,, actually for 3500 won gets 980 ml almost a liter for about 3 dollars and change, still kinda high 🙂 that 9,000 won was for three milks the other day 2×980 ml packaged together small discount and 1 980ml bottle alone..

#1955 Reply
    user6244
    Participant

Oh and for asking questions about Korea not a problem..

I love blue cheese too just worried it will attack my other cheeses in the cave so until I come up with a soltuion will have to wait,, I also like swiss and did order the Proprionic Shermanii (Swiss) C6 – 1 Packet 25g for 25.48 cents on amazon ouch ,,,

Cheese Culture- Roqueforti (blue cheese) goes for around 10 bucks good for 10 to 12 gallons of milk..

#1984 Reply
    user6244
    Participant

Hey just broke into my Pepper jack Wheel it turned out great ,, I am so happy as I was worried due to the fact that my first farmhouse cheddar being older still doesn’t taste right yet..

Pepper Jack

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Hello from Johnny
Your information: