Hello from Kitty Hawk, NC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Roxanne
    Participant

Hello, I have a herd of 13 goats and I have made chevere for the past two years, and now I am getting into different cheeses. I purchased a nice press, and have everything I could figure out that I may need. I dove in a little too fast, without researching enough, and my first cheddar did not constitute entirely. Solid on the inside, but you could see individual curds all on the outside of the cheese. I figured it would not work and did not wax and age it. I kept it in the frig a few days after pressing up to 80 pounds. I cut it to my surprise that it was solid throughout except for a few tiny holes. Anyway I tasted better than I anticipated so I was still happy with it, but i will try again. I made brie yesterday and just salted it and sprayed the outside with the mold culture. I put 1 tsp of powder in 8 oz of water and have so much left over. Can I use this left over mold culture in 48 hours if l put in frig? I could make more brie tomorrow and spray it in 24 hours, if I is still viable. Reading different recipes is confusing to me. Some put the mold culture in with the milk instead of spraying the outside…it takes way less it seems if you add it to the milk…is there an advantage other than using less powder?…so many questions but I’m hooked!!! Thank you in advance for any help.

#4118 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

Hi Roxanne. Welcome. Sounds like your cheddar didn’t quite knit right in the outside. Follow the pressing schedule (flipping and adding weight) carefully and if it still doesn’t come together you can try and put the cheese and mold into a hot sink of water to warm it for a bit then press with lots of weight again. As for the mold culture yes you can keep it in the fridge for a while. You could likely even freeze it and still use it again later but results may vary with that approach. Adding the mold to the milk directly can help the mold to spread thru the cheese faster resulting in faster ripening but spraying is fine also.

#4120 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

If you haven’t already check this forum out too: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php it’s a lot more active and has lots of info on it. Just use the search function.

#4310 Reply
    Eric
    Participant

Here is a picture of a blue I made by adding the mold directly to the milk. It works great.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Eric.
    Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Hello from Kitty Hawk, NC
Your information: