Hello from Nevada

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric
    Participant

I have been working on starting a very small cheese operation out of my home. It has been quite an interesting adventure. For a little over four years I have been buying and making the required equipment.

I was able to find a 3-A Approved 4 gallon vat & recorder from MicroDairy Designs (Which I modified slightly) along with a nice press table. I custom designed the small drain vat myself.

After moving from Oregon to Nevada I remodeled part of my garage and got it licensed as a make room.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Eric.
    #4316 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

Eric, nice set up. You are very fortunate that you could get certified. In Michigan we need so many separate rooms and so many regulations that small operations are prohibited.

#4317 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

What kind of cheese do you make or specialize in? Do you have a market for your product?

#4319 Reply
    Eric
    Participant

I mainly make cheddar, Colby, jack and blue cheese. I am also marketing a specialty cheese that my father made in Wisconsin back in the 90s.

The regulations are very tough here also and I have spent the past year working with them to get licensed. I have to say that The Nevada Dairy Commission and Washoe County have been very helpful and willing to work with me through the whole process.

#4320 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

I would like to know more about the process you went through and how large your facility is. I can’t even begin without about twenty five hundred square feet and several rooms. I have an existing building but can’t get everything the regulations call for inside it. A lab, brine room, break room, locker’s for employees. It just goes on and on.

#4321 Reply
    Eric
    Participant

If I didn’t get approval as a home business it would have been the same for me. I’m not allowed to have employees and the square footage has to be less than 30% of my Home size.

I remodeled part of my 3 car garage and I stayed under 200 square feet. Anything over 200 square feet required stricter regulations like a sprinkler system for one.

I built this as a test market plant So my current volume is very small and the largest vat I would use in this plant would be 15 gallons.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Hello from Nevada
Your information: