Hi from Japan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cleo
    Participant

Hi! I’ve been making my own cheese for a little over a year now. What started me off was a trip back home to the UK, where I was reminded of all the loverly British cheeses I’d been missing. So far I’ve produced Cheddar, Cheshire, Caerphilly, Wensleydale (plain, with orange and with cranberries), Sage Derby, Cotswold and Double Gloucester; nothing has been inedible and a few have been amazing! I love this obsession hobby.

#1831 Reply
    viv
    Participant

Hi Cleo
    I saw that you and Rachael and I are expats. I hope you don’t mind that I copy my response to Rachael into yours to save time!
    I’m an English expat, I live in Northern Minnesota in the Us and miss the cheeses of England and France. I also make raw milk cheeses. I drive an 80 mile round trip to get my raw milk from Amish farmers. Here in the US the sale of raw milk is not illegal, and yet farmers who sell openly are being prosecuted. http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-milk-regulations/state/minnesota The cows that supply my milk are milked by hand, and I get a mix of Jersey and Holstein, so the cream is pretty good. I’ve noticed a big difference in flavour from winter to summer milk, mainly because we are under snow from November to March or later, and the cows are indoors and fed hay. The winter milk is creamier, the summer milk grassier. I have started making goat cheeses this year from a friends two lovely goats, and now I have serious goat envy. It’s nice to meet you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Hi from Japan
Your information: