Hi from Namibia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ulfnamib
    Participant

Ever wandered where that country is?? On the south western side of Africa, between South Africa and Angola.
    A very dry country indeed. I started cheesemaking about 13 years ago while still having my own cows(brownswiss). The milk had enough cream in it and my cheese came out superb. I had to sell because of no grass, no rain and stopped cheesemaking till June this year. Now I buy my milk ,10 liter a week from a local farmer. He takes off a lot of cream , I tested and found 1,5% fatcontent only. I got no idea how old the milk is and how cold it was stored after milking. But I enjoy challenges and make cheese. The first big problem was that my new thermometer registered every drop 8 degrees to low, thus did I heat the poor curds way to much. That is sorted and the cheeses are getting better. Now I tackle the roomdryness getting closer to 80% humidity, dreaming of 90% with 15 degrees temperature. Day temperatures vary between 26 and 42 degrees Celsius currently with no rain. Its a dry country. But I will carry on. Myself was born and bred here in Namibia in 1953 married, my wife comes from South Africa. We have one daughter being a Veterinary surgeon who will emigrate to Cairns in 2017. I hope in this Forum are a lot of cheesemakers with whom I can share.
    Thank you

#3747 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

Ulfnamib, don’t know if my last message went through but I have been to your country and loved everything about your land and people. Look forward to exchange of ideas and stories.

#5751 Reply
    Ellen

Good day, a friend of wants to start making cheese. Can you tell me where in Namibia to get the necessary cultures?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Hi from Namibia
Your information: