Making my Feta creamier

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Garvani

One of our local restaurants does a greek salad with the creamiest feta I have ever had.

I’ve added cream to my milk when making it but its still not creamy.

Any ideas as to how to make the final product creamier?

#8151 Reply
    Dessy Petroffa

I’m happy to respond your question. One of the creamiest feta I’ve ever eaten is home made form a lady in the mountain I knew. Well, I’m from Bulgaria, so is the lady. So the Bulgarian variety is creamy, but Greek feta is more brittle for us. Taste is the same. It’s easy to confuse them if you haven’t grown up with it. And many feta labeled cheeses around the world are actually exported Bulgarian cheese.

What I think is important first: type of milk. Goat cheese make more brittle feta, while cow milk: softer, and sheep: creamier.

I make rich creamy feta, out of cow milk. As a starter culture, I use: Bulgarian yoghurt, which contains mainly LB Bulgaricus & Streptococcus thermophilus. My commercially bought starter contains also
    LAactobacilus Casei, L. lactis.
    A recent research I made resulted that LB Casei is abundant in water kefir liquid. So I think it could be used together with natural yoghurt as starter.

One Way to prevent cheese for being dry, is pay attention to the rennet quantity. Too much rennet will leave more whey so cheese at the end will be dry.

Also it’s important the ratio of starter to rennet. If it’s too sour already, cheese may get brittle and dry. That’s why we traditionally inoculate with the starter, wait few minutes and use the rennet, before the cheese acidify. That way dry and brittle cheese is prevented.

Other thing, brine is important for ripening of a creamy batch. For creamy feta, we use its own whey for brining. For 1kg of ready fresh cheese you put 70 gram of salt, distribute it in the vessel, then you pour the boiled whey over the ready pieces of cheese, until it covers it all. A small plate can come handy to press the cheese cubes underneath.

And 40 days after, you have a white miracle in your house. And this miracle will store for up to 10 months under the brine.

Greeting for the balkans,
    Dessy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Making my Feta creamier
Your information: