Monterrey Jack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    clardizabal
    Participant

I am new to the cheesemaking world. I´m trying a Monterrey Jack, using the recipe here. One questions, the recipe says to add the 15 grams of salt to the rennet and then again to add 15 grams of salt to the curds before pressing is this a typo or do i have to add 30 grams in total to the cheese? Also i live in central America with a very hot and humid climate (northern coast) for my rind to form do i leave the cheese out to air dry or will my cheese go bad? The average temperature here is in the 90-100ºF range. For raging my best bet is to do it in a the refrigerator. Any suggestions? I´d appreciate your input. Oh by the way I´m us gin fresh raw cow milk.

#2243 Reply
    smoakee
    Participant

hi clard
    you need about 2% to 2.5% of the weight of the cheese in salt. so if your cheese is 1 kg, about 20 or 25 gms of salt. I haven’t heard of adding it to the rennet. I would guess you would lose a lot of the salt when you pour off the whey, so it doesn’t sound like 30 gms is a crazy amount.

As for aging, I broke down and bought myself a small wine fridge which keeps the cheese at the right temp.

#2245 Reply
    Vickie
    Participant

Smoked curious about your wine fridge … how do you control the Humidity?

#2246 Reply
    Vickie
    Participant

That was supposed to say smoakee…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Monterrey Jack
Your information: