My blue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    johnny larue
    Participant

It’s about 320 grams or so and is more green than blue. I used a high quality piece of supermarket blue from France to inoculate it during ripening of the milk. It’s a little too rough shaped from poor wrapping but hopefully won’t effect taste. I’ll get to try in 3 weeks.

Attachments:
    #1985 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

My blue is ready and came out so so, very mild more like a Camembert but still good

Attachments:
    #1988 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

I made two small blues about 200 g each , they got really moody and stinky, so I washed with vinegar and scraped off most of the mold with a butter knife and LO and behold a few days later, they smell just like real blue and taste like it too!

The bottom photo is what they looked like before washing and scraping, the top two are after

#1993 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

A new blue on the way with lovely white mold slowly turning blue green

#1996 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

A new blue

#2000 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

Mycelium- it’s alive!

#2062 Reply
    LexDWeb
    Participant

This is my blue (860gm) at day 11. Interestingly, the mould is only growing on one side so far. However I read in the notes on how to make blue that you should scrape mould off the outside and only let it grow in the holes – views?

More cheesemaking here google+cheesemaking

Attachments:
    #2064 Reply
    johnny larue
    Participant

Looks great, let it go! Grow!

#2099 Reply
    Lycheese
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to this forum and i wonder if anyone can help me with my farmhouse blue. I made it at the beginning of April and it developed this grey and white mould on the outside of it. I’m not sure if i should leave it on or try to get rid of it with salt or some other method. I keep it in small wine chiller at about 12 degrees. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2100 Reply
    Lycheese
    Participant
    #2103 Reply
    Curd Nerd
    Keymaster

Some great looking blues here!

Lycheese, I would personally give this a salt wash if it were mine. There’s just a few spots there that look like they could head in the wrong direction so better to err on the side of caution. It certainly won’t hurt it.

#2107 Reply
    Lycheese
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I started scraping and found the grey mold had gone right through the cheese so thought best it went into the rubbish.

#2176 Reply
    madhatter64
    Participant

Hi, I’m pretty new to cheese making, and this is my very first attempt at any cheese. I decided to make a blue.
    I don’t have a cheese press, so used two chopping boards with 2ltr of bottled water, roughly 2Kgs of pressure over night. next morning, it was still holding a lot of whey, so reformed the curds in the cheese cloth, and pressed it all day while I was at work. the result was that it was now too dry, but I put it in to a mould I’d made from a plastic tub.
    I put it in fridge in the garage, but it’s too cold, 6 degrees, and on the lowest setting. Humidity is way too low at 46%
    After a week I took it out of the mould to smooth down, the texture had improved, was still a bit crumbly, but did my best.
    Now 2 weeks and 3 days on and it looks like this. quite a bit of blueing from the cracks, and starting to forma rind, the texture is a bit more creamy, and since I’ve taken this photo I’ve smoothed out the cracks to steady the blueing.
    Smells good, and a the initial taste of the palette knife is pretty good, can’t wait for the next 3 weeks to try it properly.

#4313 Reply
    Eric
    Participant

My first blue.

Attachments:
    #4315 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

Eric, nice looking cheese. Very nice for a first time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Reply To: My blue
Your information: