Ricotta Salata

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ranzi007
    Participant

I made a fresh batch of Ricotta Salata last night. I tried a new recipe for the ricotta using the whole milk instead of using whey. I also used a different pot since I was only heating one gallon of Whole Cows milk and 1/2 cup of Cream and my normal pot it too big for that. Because of my unfamiliarity of the new pot I heating the milk too slowly and I think I agitated the milk too much making sure it didn’t scald on the bottom so it resulted in a milky whey. The yield was still good but I definitely left some goodness behind. I just finished pressing it for 12 hours, re-wrapped it in new cloth and gave it its first salting. I will follow up on this thread on how the process turns out

#1855 Reply
    ranzi007
    Participant

I guess I should proof read any further posts.. I sound like a 5 y/o LOL

#1859 Reply
    ranzi007
    Participant

24 hours and just finished todays rotation and second salting. Cheese looks good, no cracks and starting to firm up. There was only a small amount of whey in the bottom of the tray

#1864 Reply
    ranzi007
    Participant

Day 4 – Cheese looks great. Very little whey coming out and firming up nicely. Most of the whey residue is located on the cheese cloth wrapping and nothing in the drip tray. The salt is being absorbed and thinned less and less so I don’t need to add as much during each turning. Still storing in the pressing mold in regular fridge. No signs of mold growth or cracking.

#1882 Reply
    Curd Nerd
    Keymaster

Sounds like it is going well ranzi007.

Keep us updated!

#1897 Reply
    ranzi007
    Participant

A little over a month later and the texture of the cheese is great. After 1 week I used some cheese paper and placed back in my ripening container. I couldn’t have asked for a better texture or creamy taste.. HOWEVER.. WAY TOO SALTY. The recipe I used salted 2x a day for 7 days.. I think next time I will only salt when none can be felt on the surface of the cheese.

#1901 Reply
    Curd Nerd
    Keymaster

That’s exactly what I do ranzi.

Once you can feel that all the salt added has been absorbed into the cheese, then apply more. But if it’s still on the surface, wait until the next due salting time and check again.

The density of your curd and the rind formed will impact how much salt is assimilated so directions on a set amount of salt and application do not always apply.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Ricotta Salata
Your information: