Soft cheese 2 ply wrap

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Equipment Soft cheese 2 ply wrap

Tagged: 

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Jeffrey.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    [email protected]
    Participant

Hi
    I’m told that using 2 ply wrap for home made Brie/Camembert is a key way to try and optimise the somewhat tricky affinage and maturation of these cheeses.
    Can you tell me if the ‘Cheese Paper 2 Ply’ on the curdnerd website is the required item? I read else where it should be:

“2 ply mold ripened cheese wrap”:
    i.e. The inner layer is designed to pull moisture away from the surface of the cheese. The paraffin coating prevents candidum mold from growing into the paper, which would result in tearing of the cheese surface when un-wrapping.
    The outer layer allows gas to be exchanged while controlling moisture loss, allowing white mold to remain active, not excessive.”

Picture of cheese needing to be wrapped in a few days.

Thanks

Jeffrey

#8182 Reply
    [email protected]
    Participant

Uploading smaller photo

#8238 Reply
    harmo
    Participant

Hi Jeffery,
    Sorry, I just signed up to this forum, and so I am sorry you haven’t had a response yet. I hope you found something to work for your cheeses. However, I haven’t been able to find the bloomy rind wraps on the Curd Nerd supplies section.

Other words for the wrap you need are “microperferated” or just “brie wrap”.

The one thing I find is that the size of your brie wheels will determine the size of the brie wrap. I notice a larger wheel in the middle there. I’ve found that the 420mm x 420mm sheets from Green Living Australia are a cheaper source of larger sheets. But I don’t know where you are. For more info:

https://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheese-wrap-white-pack-of-10.

There’s a company that supplies commercial cheese makers here in Canberra, Cheese Kettle that also sell sheets in huge quantities. I’ve found talking to them has helped me to buy more hobbyist levels of supplies.

Not all paper is two ply, but instead has both layers fused, or just has one micro-perforated layer. They all seem to work though.

Did you get your sheets in the end?
    Harmo.

#8241 Reply
    Jeffrey

Thanks for your response. Yes I did get some good 2 ply wrap, from Jongia, at
    https://cheesemakingshop.co.uk/shop/accessories/cheese-wrap-for-soft-cheese/ .
    Jongia responded helpfully to an email). It works really well for soft cheese, and fits the small and medium-sized cheeses in that picture.

Jeffrey

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Soft cheese 2 ply wrap
Your information: