Sour milk?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    karin eide
    Participant

I think I will have to dump this batch cheese that I’m making. But before I did I thought I would check in with this forum. I am using a 50 vat and am only milking 5 goats once a day right now, getting a couple of gallons a day per milking. I’m afraid I didn’t remove all of the milkstone from the inside of my vat last time I cleaned it. I fear that my milk has been contaminated because of the sour smell. However, I was hopeful that possibly the aging process would remove or change the composition of the cheese enough to eliminate the sourness. My curds set perfectly and everything is going just fine in the process except for the pervasive sour smell.
    Has anyone had success with soured Milk?

#3752 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

Karin, I have had similar experiences and outcome was always the same. Cheese looked great and smelled a little more acidic than normal and after a week of slow realising of whey, it turns a little slimey and starts smelling terrible. Wish I could give you more hope but that’s my experience.

#3753 Reply
    karin eide
    Participant

That’s what I’m fearing. I unmolded them today, they look beautiful but still smell a bit sour. Thanks for your input.

#3754 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

The key may be in how much whey it holds. If it continues to release whey and doesn’t sour a lot more you may have a new cheese. If it goes into a phase where any coating of slime appears it is sure to be bad. Just as an aside, I had a batch of mozzarella that I let acidify for almost a week and it would not stretch. It was partially in the whey just because I was following the directions from this website. After that week I didn’t know what to do because the cheese was not bad just didn’t have the consistently and taste needed. I put some blue mold culture in it and lit it age as I would a blue. It continued to drain and develop and now it is one of the best blue cheeses I ever made.

#3755 Reply
    karin eide
    Participant

That’s encouraging! I pressed several wheels with the sour curds and they are drying out in preparation for the aging cooler (50 deg, 85% rh). The wheels are beautiful, firm and look just like they should at this stage. I’ll cross my fingers and keep at it. Thanks for your response!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Sour milk?
Your information: