spongy cheese

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris
    Participant

Hi, I just finished my 2nd try at Romano cheese and after brining it for about 14 hours and letting it dry for about 5.5 hours, I noticed that it is a bit spongy! Is that ok? Should I not age this cheese, I’d hate to wait 12 months and find that it is bad. Help.

#3998 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

Chris,
    Be patient. You may have picked up some bacteria during the make process but you also may have a cheese that takes a little time to settle down. I have had cheese that I had to throw out but the decision was always made based on smell rather than texture. Way more times than not would the cheese transform into something better rather than something bad. Just give it some time and use your nose.

#4000 Reply
    chris
    Participant

Thanks T-Cheese.

#4005 Reply
    chris
    Participant

Ray, thank you for the info.

#8178 Reply
    Emma

Any updates on this Chris? I’ve had similar experience when trying to make a Tomme like cheese – cheese expands while air drying, seems foamy – and three months into ageing (curiosity got the better of me) it is full of tiny holes all the way through – literally like a sponge. Would be curious to know how you got on with yours.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: spongy cheese
Your information: