Three different cheeses and their temperatures

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Aging Three different cheeses and their temperatures

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris
    Participant

I have a 9 bottle wine fridge that I am using to age my one Parmesan and two Romano cheeses. They both call for 55 degrees temp and about 80% RH. I want to know if I can put a Swiss cheese that calls for 45 degrees and about the same % RH in the same fridge. Can I split the difference in temperature and put it at 50 degrees for the 3 cheeses? Or do I need a separate fridge for the Swiss? Thanks.

#4021 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

What kind of Swiss? Emmental? If so you will probably need to keep it cooler while you rind it before you put it thru its warmup cycle. If you try to rind it too warm it may start to puff up prematurely, crack and not turn out how you hope. Any other Swiss style you will probably be ok using the wrong temp it will just change the cheese a little bit but not too major.

#4022 Reply
    chris
    Participant

Thanks Ray, It is an Emmental Swiss recipe. So you are saying that it should be in a cooler fridge before it warms up then it should be ok aging at the 55 degree mark along with the 3 other cheese?

#4023 Reply
    chris
    Participant

Thanks Ray, It is an Emmental Swiss recipe. So you are saying that it should be ok aging at the 55 degree mark along with the 3 other cheese after heat up period?

#4024 Reply
    Ray Johnson
    Participant

Yes it should be fine after the warmup/ swelling stage but I would keep it cooler while it is rinded in the first place. I would probably cool the fridge down for the parm and romano while (it won’t hurt them for that long) and then take the Swiss out and bring temp back to 55 for the rest of the aging on all the cheeses (put Swiss in at 55 after the swelling stage)

#4025 Reply
    chris
    Participant

Thanks again Ray!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Three different cheeses and their temperatures
Your information: