White mold turned brownish pink and sticky on Brie????

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Soft Cheeses White mold turned brownish pink and sticky on Brie????

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gabe
    Participant

Hi All, was wondering what I did wrong here. I am trying to make my first Brie and was doing really well and had a nice snow white mold growing on it then after 2 weeks I patted down the mold and wrapped the cheese in Formaticum cheese paper. It is stored in my cheese refrigerator at temps of 55-68 deg F 80-90% humidity. A few days later the mold turned brownish pink and sticky with a significant “ammonia” smell. I’m not really sure what to do now, any help would be appreciated. Thanks everybody.

#3743 Reply
    Punkin
    Participant

Gabe, I know it’s been a while but here’s my two cents worth. It sounds like your cheese aging space may be too warm for storage. I like to develop my white mold at about 50 degrees and after packaging I keep it around 40 to retard further action and suspend the aging process. I think the 55-68 may be too high.

#3749 Reply
    PanamaMike
    Participant

T-Cheese is right. For mold development 50-55 degrees. RH, 90%. When you have a good coverage of pc, put it in your home refrigerator in a container or wrap with cheese paper at a temp. of 42 degrees F. When ever you use a container keep the moisture wiped out.
    Also sounds as if the cheese retained moisture. with the high temp. and moisture level you got some B Linens going on.
    Maybe you created a new cheese!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: White mold turned brownish pink and sticky on Brie????
Your information: