A soft, sweet cheese made from cows cream or half and half cows cream and milk. Cream cheese is not aged, but instead eaten fresh.
- 2 litres cream or half cream/half milk
- 1/8 teaspoon mesophilic starter (I use Chr. Hansens R704)
- Bring cream (or half and half) to room temperature
- Add starter and mix well
- Leave to ripen and set up a curd for 12-16 hours
Curd will not be a firm strong curd like the curd you get when using rennet, but should still be well set up
- Ladle into a fine weave cheese cloth (use 2 layers if necessary) and hang to drain for 12-24 hours
Change the cloth a couple of times or gently turn the curd over to exposure soft curds to the cloth so they drain
- When the cheese has reached your desired consistency spoon it into a bowl and mix in flavouring
- Press cheese into containers and put it in the fridge to set
Storage: Will store for 2 weeks in the fridge
Do you have any questions or comments about Cream Cheese? Join the discussion over at the Curd Nerd Forum. We would love to hear from you!