So you’re new to Curd-Nerd? Perhaps you’re a cheese making beginner?
Either way, don’t panic. While there is plenty of information on this site, this is the best place to start and find your way through it all.
Cheese Making For Beginners Glossary
The best thing to do as a cheese making beginner is to familiarise yourself with some common terms. You’ll find that these cheese making terms will appear over and over again in recipes and in methods:
Cheese Making For Beginners Basics
Now that we’ve got the general terms covered, let’s move on to the basics of cheese making. You’ll need some equipment and you’ll need some recipes:
Cheese Making For Beginners Starting Point
Right, got that? Good, now let’s look at some details about the cheese making processes you will be going through to get some good cheese.
- We’ll Need Milk
- Getting Things Started – Adding Cultures
- How To Achieve A Curd – Adding Rennet
- How To Achieve A Curd – Flocculation Method
- Cutting The Curd – It’s Not That Scary Really
- Scalding – Or cooking the curd
- Pressing Your Cheese – Bringing It All Together
- Cheese Salt – Brining Your Cheese
- Age Does Matter – Aging Homemade Cheese
- Preserving Hard Cheeses With Wax
- Preserving Hard Cheeses By Bandaging
- Preserving Cheese With Vacuum Sealers
How To Make Home Cheese Making Cheaper
As home cheese makers, we also like to do things in a way which will be friendly to our wallets. So check out the post below for some ideas on how to save your moolah.
Do you have any questions or comments about our cheese making for beginners topics? Join the discussion over at the Curd Nerd Forum. We would love to hear from you!