- 1 litre of cream
(Or 500ml of cream and 500ml of full cream)
- 1/4 tsp of tartaric acid
(Or 15ml of lemon juice)
- Warm cream to 85 degrees Celsius/185 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add tartaric acid or lemon juice and stir in thoroughly for 5-8 minutes.
The cream will start to thicken immediately, towards the consistency of custard. If this doesn’t happen, add a tiny drop more of tartaric acid but be careful not to add too much or you will end up with a grainy texture.
- Leave to rest and cool to room temperature.
- Ladle into a cheese cloth lined colander.
- Drain for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Remove from the colander and place in an airtight container.
Use immediately or within 2 weeks when stored in the refrigerator.
Do you have any questions or comments about Mascarpone? Join the discussion over at the Curd Nerd Forum. We would love to hear from you!