Learn how to make Queso Fresco at home, with our simple, easy to follow delicious recipe.
Queso Fresco Cheese is a Latin American, fresh and mild cheese made with either goats or cows milk.
It is often used in Mexican cooking and it is quick and easy to make, making it a great cheese for beginner cheese makers.
Queso Fresco Cheese Ingredients
- 4 litres/1 gallon of whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon mesophilic starter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon non iodized, kosher or canning salt
How To Make Queso Fresco Recipe
- Warm milk to 85 degrees Celsius/185 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add culture and stir in thoroughly
- Leave to ripen for 45 minutes
- Slowly add the vinegar, 1/4 cup at first and up to 1/2 cup if needed, stirring constantly until the milk coagulates.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes once a curd has formed.
- Ladle the curds into a colander lined with cheese cloth
- Hang to drain the whey for 30 minutes
- Move the curds to a bowl with the cheese salt, working the salt into the curds with your hands.
- Line 2 cheese molds with cheese cloth
- Fill the molds with the curds and press lightly for 1 hour
- Cover the molds with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge.
How To Store Queso Fresco Cheese
Enjoy right away or within one week if refrigerated.
Do you have any questions or comments about Queso Fresco? Join the discussion over at the Curd Nerd Forum. We would love to hear from you!
We really hope you enjoyed making our queso fresco cheese recipe at home as much as we do..
More Easy Soft Cheese Recipes