Age of raw milk

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Tom Moran 4 hours, 31 minutes ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Pete Gorsline

So – where I am at, milk costs me about $6/gal. This is a raw milk and I understand that it’s around 6% milkfat and I think about the same protein content – it’s milked and packaged the same day and I have been very happy with the quality. The dairy has a commercial side and they sell the raw milk on the side – but because of the commercial operation they have all of the testing in place. Last week when I was getting milk on 5/17 – the folks had a sign in the fridge saying that the milk dated 5/13 was half off. As I am new to cheese making, I would like to ask if is this going to make much difference were I to pasteurize it and get into cheesemaking within 24 hours. I am only making cheese every week or every other week – but I am at the point where doubling what I make would not be a big issue – time wise. I’m just wondering if the quality of the milk goes down that much – that it would make the cost to be not worth it.

What is your experience?

#5722 Reply

Tom Moran

Pete, I have had good luck with raw milk that has been in cool storage for days. I routinely get goat milk that is five or six days old and it makes great cheese. I have read that some of the old time cheese makers would intentionally age their milk for some cheese’s.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Age of raw milk
Your information: