Calcium Chloride

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Punkin 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

martin
    Participant

Hi all

I’m new here and what a great site, packed full of useful info. I’m on a sharp learning curve.

One thing I have discovered is that I’m adding the Calcium Chloride far too late in the process. I’m making Chevre from paustuerised goat’s milk, from our own herd.

The question is : Can I add Calcium Chloride before pastuerising, or should I do this afterwards, but before adding the starter culture? (Just not sure what effect the heating and cooling of the pastuerisation process would have on the Calcium Chloride’s effectiveness)

Thanks/Regards
    Martin

#3741 Reply

Punkin
    Participant

Martin, I believe you should be adding the CC after you pasturize the milk. The pasturization process depletes the calcium content so adding it before will not help. I have also used calcium chloride with goat milk just because sometimes you can get a delicate curd without it. I use it sparingly because I don’t really like the taste and do believe it has some impact on the final product.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Calcium Chloride
Your information: