Home › The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers › Equipment › Cleaning equipment
- This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 10 months ago by PanamaMike.
What is the best way to clean vats, sinks, utensils, colanders, cheese cave, counters, wood used for aging the cheese, etc. I’m afraid that I’m going to have the posibility of getting e-coli or botulism in my aged cheese and I won’t know before I try it. Should I use Star-san which says it needs no rinsing? Or bleach and water (how much bleach to a gallon) and how do you not get bleach in your cheese? Or should I use white vinegar and does that leave an off flavor in the cheese?..Also when pressing, what should I have as a base below my cheesecloth in the open bottom of my mold? Right now it is wood but again how do I clean that wood? Thank in advance!PunkinParticipant
Chris, I use bleach and water (teaspoon to a gallon) but there are many better solutions. Star-san is a good option but I like to rinse everything. I am a welder/fabricator and love stainless steel. I bring home every stainless scrap I get. I have perforated stainless steel draining mats, stainless table tops, and all stainless presses. That is not available to all and there are very inexpensive mat material available at almost any cheese supply website. I also like wood aging planks but they are tough to clean. COP is the best way (hot water tanks) but you need to cut your wood to fit and COP tanks are not practical for hobiest. Bleach and water is not the best way to clean wood because it leaves a residue that is counter productive when you are cultivating good bacteria (white molds) on your aging cheese. Maybe another can weigh in on the best way to clean up wood?
Thanks T-cheese. I guess I’ll use Star-San for all but the counters and the wood. I use it when I’m making my wine. I like to rinse it too. Like you said, maybey there is someone out there that knows of a wood cleaner.Ray JohnsonParticipant
I use a fair bit of wood for draining and aging on. (Even stirring) E coli and botulism don’t grow well on wood to begin with. The other main thing with wood is it gathers/ harbors good bacteria that fight off any harmful bacteria so I try and leave things alone to promote that when I can (just wash drain board and stirring spoons with soap and water. If you have a board with mould worked into it (such as a shelf) the best thing to get rid of that is actually baking soda and water. This changes pH suddenly and kills the mould.
I use STERAMINE no rinse sanitizer. It comes in tablet form and you just add it to water.
1 tab to 1 gal. of water.