Spongy cheese-lots of tiny air pockets

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Semi Hard Cheeses Spongy cheese-lots of tiny air pockets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Emma

Hello all -firstly I’m very pleased to have found this forum! Pretty difficult to work out whats going on with no formal training!

Similar to below query on expanding cheese – we’ve had a similar issue, albeit with a non-waxed cheese – more like a tomme, that we are making with our own raw goats milk. Its expands while air drying, or even sometimes in the form. Three months in to ageing we’ve cut it out of curiosity and the cheese is riddled with tiny holes all the way through- so many that it has a sponge-like texture, or looks like the inside of an aero chocolate bar! Flavour is pretty good – like a manchego actually – but texture terrible. We’ve made another since, which expanded less, and will let it age 6 months before testing. Would you say this is also wild bacteria / yeast contamination? And are these wild bacteria always bad?

Once or twice we’ve had curds that float (usually when I’ve accidentally left them for too long) and they also make these very spongy cheeses when I’ve made them into quick rennet curd cheeses – although I’ve read since you shouldn’t use them at all. Help!

NB I should say that we’re following natural cheese making principles to explore what we can do with our own raw milk and its natural cultures before we start buying in cultures from elsewhere.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Spongy cheese-lots of tiny air pockets
Your information: