Malfunctioned Cheese Cave – Too Warm

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Aging Malfunctioned Cheese Cave – Too Warm

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #2668 Reply

    My cheese cave’s (wine fridge’s) termostat malfunctioned while i was away for a week and let the temp go up to ambient basement temperature of about 17c and then the humidity rose to about 90% for a week or so while I was away.

    Most of my cheeses were pretty good, just a little new mould development. My stilton that was about 14 days old when I left really spiked the development of white and a little brown mould, that seemed to have really taken over the blues.

    Any ideas/comments on whether things should be ok now that i’m back down to about 13c/70%

    #2922 Reply
    Curd Nerd

    Hi Ryan,

    How is your cheese going?

    Considering that you are back 13c/70% I wouldn’t imagine that too much damage had been done. You will need to judge it based on how much unwanted mould has grown. If it is only a little it should be okay, although it may alter the taste of your cheese if left for a while.

    If you haven’t already, I would firstly try and wipe off the mould how you normally would, with a clean cloth dampened in brine. If that doesn’t do the trick, then you can try a more risky method. You could cut away the areas affected with unwanted mould. This method is temperamental…sometimes the cheese recovers and sometimes it doesn’t. Your decision to do this will need to be judged on how affected the cheese is. If you try the cutting method, I would recommend salting the cut areas and letting it dry before putting it back in your wine fridge.

    Basically, you will want to try and remove as much of the unwanted mould as you can, and if you achieve this then your cheese should turn out as normal.

    Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Malfunctioned Cheese Cave – Too Warm
Your information: