Questions about humidity in a small wine fridge

Home The Curd Nerd Forum For Home Cheese Makers Aging Questions about humidity in a small wine fridge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Moran 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

chris
    Participant

I’m new to cheese making and I purchased a used 9 bottle wine fridge for use as a cheese cave. I have a bowl filled with water in it and a damp rag placed on a rack as well. My hygrometers both read only up as high as 70-72% relative humidity at about 55 degrees. I have 1 Parmesan and 2 Romano (2 lbs each), cheeses in it at this time. I have been working on the humidity problem for about 1.5 months. I see in the cheese recipes that the RH should be at 80-90%. What am I doing wrong? Also I have seen suggestions to get a ripening or aging box to put the cheeses in, What are these? And would they fit in a small wine fridge like mine? The cheeses have a dry outside at this time, is that the way these type of cheeses should be? Thanks in advance for your help.

#4018 Reply

Ray Johnson
    Participant

I don’t use a wine fridge but have seen a lot of them used on line. Most people use a small humidifier that sits in a cup of water this is then hooked up to a humidity controller. Both can be found on Amazon for fairly cheap. Your cheese should be dry on the surface but shouldnt crack if the humidity is close to right. Sounds like you are a little low.

#5502 Reply

Gracie Hernandez

I am also using a wine fridge, same problem with humidity. I only have small 1 lb cheeses that are all waxed. Is humidity still a factor?

#5509 Reply

Tom Moran

Gracie, I have found waxing to be an alternative to trying to properly humidify your aging space, but not a substitute. Waxing with wax will give you some protection from drying out but there are other issues I have experienced that make it almost as troublesome. Molding under the wax is one. Color and taste leaching into the cheese is another. My suggestion is to use cream wax if you can’t get the humidity right. It comes clear and drys opaque so you can see inside. Also holds the moisture but still provides some breathing of the cheese. Also has a mold inhibitor that doesn’t leave any taste. Hope it works out for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Questions about humidity in a small wine fridge
Your information: